If you want to decorate your party in a Japanese style, you will be happy to discover that the specific decorations bring about a feeling of tranquility, simplicity, elegance, but also fun. The Zen-like attitude inspired by Japan could be the key of success for your party, especially if you have many guests and it is going to be a sort-of equal mixture of discussions, drinking, eating and dancing.
The timeless beauty of Japan can be brought to life really easy, by using paper lanterns, Noren curtains and origami decorations, as they make a great choice no matter if it is a birthday party, a party for a child, a festive dinner, lunch, or even a wedding party.
Here are 5 pieces of advice on what to buy for your Japanese party and how to decorate it:
- Focus on the paper lanterns. These lights are very important in order to create the proper Japanese ambience and they go very well both inside and outside. If you have the party inside, the lanterns can be hanged from the ceiling, above the table or along the walls. If you have the party outside, then you can easily hang them from trees, gazebos or patio awnings. Any gardening or party-supply shop has paper lanterns, so it will not be too hard to find them. The most common ones are red and white, as they represent the colors on the Japanese flags, but you can also pick them in other colors or with several Japanese symbols on them, representing peace, prosperity, love, etc.
- Go for wall fans. These artistic pieces can be put on the walls and, thanks to the various Japanese characters written on them, they will enliven the party room. Wall fans can be easily found in home-décor and Asian furniture stores, but be careful not to pick the some with Korean or Chinese characters, as they might ruin the whole theme of the party.
- Never forget about origami. These wonderful decorations have the advantage that they can be made by anyone, at home, without expensive materials or too much work. If you have never folded origami pieces, do not worry, as there are numerous websites which show you how to successfully create your origami designs. Choose them by the meaning of their symbols, as there are many legends related to them, which could cheer up the atmosphere of your party. Origami decorations are easy to create and will successfully decorate your table setting and contribute to the harmony of the party decorations.
- Look for Noren hangings or curtains. They are traditionally used as decorations for Japanese businesses, following the Feng Shui principles, focusing on luck and prosperity. However, in a Japanese-themed party, they will successfully contribute to the atmosphere, especially if the curtains are placed at the entrance, which means everyone needs to part them in order to get in, creating mystery and excitement. Noren hangings can be draped on the wall, adding a bit of Japanese charm.
- Add a touch of cherry blossoms. There is no real Japanese-themed party without cherry blossom, an important part of the life of the Japanese people and their culture. Placed in vases or arranged in bouquets with other flowers, strategically positioned on the table, the cherry blossoms will bring a sentiment of peace, happiness and splendor. Do not worry if you cannot find real ones, the artificial cherry blossoms are equally welcomed and appreciated.